Van She are the freshest sounds from Sydney, Australia busting out of the gates with the release of their debut, self-titled EP in late 2005. Van She are comprised from bits and bobs of 80's post punk, funk and synth pop plus the influence of latest new wave artists like Tom Vek & Bloc Party. Van She are that unique beast that one was beginning to believe was extinct - a band that takes all these influences from days gone but makes them sound unique, modern and fresh. A lazy pastiche this isn't.
Van She formed when Nick Routledge [vocals, guitar], Matt Van Schie [bass], Michael Di Francesco [synths] and Tomek Archer [drums] all responded to an ad in Sydney's Drum Media and arrived at an audition for a vocalist for a doom metal band with influences including Sepultura, Entombed, Black Skull and Phil Collins to find the whole thing was a sham. You could call it the result of Satan at work, or you could call it fate.
The Van She EP was released in November 2005 with lead track Sex City instantly added to rotation at Triple J and community radio around Australia. The second release KELLY hit the national airwaves as well and is the anthemic centrepiece to the EP. It has the kind of sweet sentimentality that very few songs capture, a kind of ecstatic nostalgia that artists like Daft Punk and Phoenix are the masters of. KELLY is destined to warm your cockles and tickle the memories of anyone who was once a youngster in love.
The band have toured around Australia several times, playing with the likes of End Of Fashion, Annie, Faker, Cut Copy, The Presets, New Young Pony Club, Klaxons, Gerling, Expatriate, as well as festival dates at Splendour In The Grass, Good Vibrations, Come Together and more. Van She also took off overseas, playing shows in New Zealand, New York, LA, San Fran, London and Paris.
Van She recently recorded their debut album in London, working with noted producer, Jim Abbiss who has worked with the Artic Monkeys, Ladytron & Kasabian. The album is due to be released in August.
* Van She formed in early 2005 on a shared love of French house, 1985 and slap bass
* Van She signed with Modular Recordings in June 2005
* They released their first self-titled 5 track EP in November 2005, with lead track "Sex City" instantly being added to rotation Triple J and community radio around Australia
* The second single off the EP 'Kelly' also hit the national airwaves and a video followed
* Van She have toured extensively, playing alongside Faker, The Presets, Cut Copy, End Of Fashion, Annie, Faker, Cut Copy, The Presets, New Young Pony Club, Klaxons, Gerling, Expatriate and Operator Please, as well as festivals Splendour In The Grass, Good Vibrations & Come Together
* They have attracted international attention with their remixes with The Presets, Klaxons and New Young Pony Club
* Recently recorded their debut album in the UK with noted producer Jim Abbiss, who has worked with the Artic Monkeys, Ladytron & Kasabian
* Recent tour supports with Daft Punk, Sneaky Sound System, Operator Please, Pnau and played at the Nokia Trends Festival in Brazil and toured Japan last month.
* Street track 'Cat In The Eye' featured as the Channel 9 Summer synch for drama
* First official single from the album 'Strangers' at radio & tv now
* Debut album titled 'V' to be released in August 2008